Walk cautiously on Accra's side walks
- Accra has an open sewer system which happens to be on the roadside, some of the sewer lines are covered by concrete blocks and metal plates while others are totally open.
- Don't walk on covered sewer lines ( they're not as safe as you think) and are in very bad shape, you could easily twist your ankle.
- At night watch where you walk carefully, better yet if you're not on a tight budget take taxis and public transport as opposed to walking unless you're in the CBD. Walking in the CBD is safe.
- Avoid spending time around the open sewers. They're infested with mosquitoes and you could easily get malaria.
- Other measures to take since malaria is quite common in the city due to the hot climate and open sewers:
- Use DEET on your clothes before leaving your room.
- Use lotion that is 50% DEET.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts or blouses and jeans, maxi skirts or maxi dresses more frequently. Try to show off less skin as you possibly can.
- Stay in air-conditioned surroundings. Such cool temperatures keep mosquitoes away.