To explore the rich culture of Barbados, you'll need to get around. Luckily, there are quite a number of options for you as outlined below.
1. Hired Car - The Best Way to Get Around Barbados
- I advice you to rent one instead of taking a taxi.
- Always keep left!
Roads in Barbados
- Are relatively in a better shape than in most Caribbean countries.
- Be prepared to handle winding twists, turns and narrow lanes.
- Traffic can be frustrating during rush hour.
Driving Permit in Barbados
- Get a temporary permit from your travel agency.
- I recommend buying a 2-month permit from your agency.
- This permit costs around 10 Barbadian dollars or USD 5.
- Acquiring a car insurance in Barbados is easy!
- Customer service is top notch, there's fast processing and documentation and easy payment plans.
Available Rental Cars
- Compact cars.
- Air-conditioned vans.
- Spacious jeeps.
Rental Car Companies in Barbados
- Coconut Rental Cars
- Venture Rental Cars Inc.
- Courtesy Rent-A-Car
- Direct Car Rentals
- Corbin's Car Rentals
- Executive Car Rentals
- If you want to take in the beauty of Barbados, you can bike off-road!
- Bikes in Barbados are always insured to protect you and bike rental companies.
- Renting a bike or a scooter in Barbados costs around USD 40.
- A small deposit is required by the lender. It is returned only when the bike/scooter is returned in its original state.
3. Rental Bicycles
- Cycling can be a good option if you wish to exercise as you enjoy the Barbadian beauty.
- It will cost you only about USD 20.
There are 3 types of buses in Barbados:
- Are predominantly yellow in color with blue striped on the side.
2. Transport Board Bus
- Are run by the government.
- Predominantly large blue buses with yellow stripes on the sides.
3. ZR Bus
- This is identified with a circular red and white sign with "To city" and " Out of city" marked in black letters.
Bus fares cost only USD 2 thus the cheapest option.