- The biggest health threat I experienced when there was the risk of contracting diseases transmitted by mosquitoes. Brazil has a tropical climate and the mosquito population is tremendous.
- The key tip is to protect yourself against mosquito bites since some diseases transmitted by mosquitoes such as malaria and zika virus have no vaccines. Always use mosquito repellant.
- Mosquito-transmitted diseases with vaccines are;
- Yellow fever.
- It is not a requirement that you get these vaccines before heading to Brazil but safety first!
- Typhoid is also common here, luckily the vaccine available.
Further tips for your healthcare safety.
- If you can get your medical insurance provider to cover you even when outside your country, that'll be great.
- IMPORTANT: Expectant women should avoid visiting Brazil as they are more susceptible to the Zika virus if you have to visit, always stay in a cool or air-conditioned environment.