Here's how to avoid tourist crowds in Cairo.
Avoid Cairo during peak seasons
- Don't visit during festive seasons such as Easter and Christmas, the crowds are unbearable.
- What I recommend: Visit during the Ramadan, most tourists avoid visiting around this time thinking that most sites will be closed but that isn't true!
PRO TIP: Spend your day outside Cairo and explore Cairo at night.
- Probably the best way to avoid tourist jams in the city, visit tourist sites within the city at night when most people have left such sites. Most sites are open till late at night. There's also quite a number of sites outside Cairo: you can visit Alexandria, Aswan or Luxor.
- For a great view of the city go up the Cairo tower at night.
- Key tip: Visit the pyramids at night, they're less crowded at night.
Don't go to Khan el Khalili on weekends
- This placed is packed during weekends, walking around is difficult, visit during working hours during weekdays.
Use a travel agency
- Exploring Cairo by yourself is difficult and you're bound to get stuck in jams, however when you're with a travel agency, they know the best time to visit various attractions across the city.