Cape Town has the most liberal attitude towards the LGBTQ community in South Africa ranking 23rd in the World's Spartacus Index Ranking.
Same-sex marriages were legalized in 2006 and lesbian and gay rights are protected by the South African constitution.
Social discrimination against the LGBTQ community is prohibited.
Pride Events and Gay Events in Cape Town
- There are about 5 Pride events.
- The best gay events include Cape Town Pride Mardi Gras which happens in February.
Gay Villages in Cape Town
De Waterkant is the main gay village in Cape Town. Others include Sea Point and Green Point.
Gay Nightlife in Cape Town
- Although Cape Town is very gay friendly, showing affection outside the clubs can sometimes attract trouble!
- The best way to interact with the gay community is always in bars and clubs and the following are among the gay friendly hotspots.
LGBTQ Friendly Clubs and Bars in Cape Town
1. Shaft Cruise Zone (5⭐)
- It is a gay bar located in Lower Main Rd. 299, Cape Town offering a safe place for the urban and suburban gay community.
- Shaft Cruise Zone has excellent services, best Cape Town DJ's and very affordable drinks and cocktails.
- No cash is accepted, but all credit and debit cards are accepted.
2. The Pink Panther Night Club
- This is a gay club in De Waterkant in the heart of the very Gay Cape Town.
- It accommodates all sexualities, races, religions and the crowd is always mixed.
- It offers among the best customer service in Cape Town, with very friendly bartenders, guaranteed security, very clean washrooms and affordable drinks and cocktails.
- There's enough sitting and dancing space with great music.
- Located in Caxton St. Cape Town, it offers the most gay friendly space for couples.
- There's lots of bar specials, karaokes, pool tables and very good music especially from the 80's, 90's and RnB.
4. Zer021 Rooftop
- This is an all inclusive gay club located in Canterbury St. where most queer urban folks meet up and hang out.
- The environment is very gay, very cool vibes and great music.
- It offers live performances of Cape Town's beloved Drag Performers with both emerging and resident drag queens.