The LGBTQ community in Cape Verde is arguably the most protected in Africa.
Same- sex sexual activity is legal in Cape Verde and discrimination based on sexual orientation is banned.
Same- sex marriages or unions are however not recognized.
While visiting the island, it is necessary to have prior knowledge of the gay friendly destinations and the places to avoid as a member of the LGBTQ community.
Gay Friendly Towns in Cape Verde
1. Cidade do Maio ( Porto Inglês )
2. Santa Maria
5. Sal Rei
Santa Maria, Mindelo and Praia are the most cosmopolitan and liberal when it comes to gay rights.
Gay Friendly Clubs in Santa Maria, Cape Verde
1. One Love Reggae Bar
- It is a bar on the roof with an amazing view of the sky and the ocean.
- They offer good beer, good reggae music, excellent customer service. The locals, staff and the LGBTQ community are very friendly.
2. Ocean Suites Pub
- It is located above the famous Ocean Cafe in Sal Island. It is a gay friendly pub that's open from 10 pm to midnight and offers the best of Cape Verde's gay nightlife.
- The pub serves the best local beers, international cuisines, best live music and is an environment to share social and cultural diversities.
3. Buddy Bar
- Offers the best cocktails, gin and tunics.
- It hosts an extraordinarily talented group of musicians who perform every night.
- The atmosphere is very gay and is the best place to interact with other gays.
4. Morna Beach Club
- This is a very cosy beach club with very serene and private atmosphere.
- They offer 5 star dishes, great cocktails and is good for groups.
5. Hilton Cabo Verde Sal Resort
- This is an upmarket beach resort with a spa and outdoor pool, casinos, 4 restaurants and bars
- The serene, classy beach front offers the best experience for gay couples.