Near the famous Cinque Terre, there is a cycle-track converted from a historical nineteenth railway track, it runs between Framura - Bonassola - Levanto. It's got amazing views and unique cliffs above the sea.
The bike path is about 5km long in total, paved, easy ride, no major hills, not challenging.
How to access the bike trail:
Option 1. Train to Levanto
- you can take the train to Levanto Station. Look up train schedule on Trenitalia
- from Milan to Levanto there is a direct train, takes under 3hrs, cost 26€ one way
- from from Monterosso al Mare to Levanto takes under 10minutes, very frequent, cost 4€ one way
Option 2. Train to Framura:
- you can take the train to Framura Station. Look up train schedule on Trenitalia
- from Milan to Framura the fastest solution takes about 3hrs, switch train at Sestri Levante, cost around 30€ one way
- from Monterosso al Mare to Framura takes under 15minutes, hourly train, cost 4.9€ one way
You can also train to the middle point Bonassola if you want. It's also possible to drive, Levanto will be easier to find parking space.
How to rent a bike
Once you exit out of either of the train stations, you will see signs for bike rentals, if not just ask around.
- Cost: prices vary depends on what bike you get and who you rent from, on average it should cost about 2€/hour, €15/day, €6 for the evening
- Below was a photo I took 5 years ago where I rented the bike just outside the Framura station
- Some hotels provide free bikes too
- You can also walk, very easy
- You can take stairs down to get to the beach, you can swim there