Selecting a prepaid sim card might be hectic for a foreigner visiting Tanzania. Well, worry no more. The following is all you need to know about prepaid sim cards in Tanzania.
The 5 main network service providers in Tanzania
- Vodacom has the largest market share in Tanzania while Halotel has the least market share.
- Accordingly, Vodacom has the widest network coverage in Tanzania.
- If you happen to visit Zanzibar, then Zantel would be the most preferred network service provider, since it has the widest coverage in the island.
- If you happen to visit Serengeti National Park or areas around Ngorongoro then I'd recommend using Airtel instead.
Where to find your prepaid sim card in Tanzania
- The easiest and certainly the best way to acquire a prepaid sim card is immediately after arrival at the airport in Dar es Salaam.
- Companies such as Vodacom have a booth just near the arrival section.
- You'll only spend at most 5 minutes to have your sim card registration completed and your card fully functional.
- Alternatively, you can purchase any sim card in shopping outlets countrywide or,
- Purchasing one from vendors at the streets with umbrellas branded the name of the network service provider.