How to be safe in Jamaica
- Though most people view Jamaica as being generally insecure, tourists can have a great time exploring Jamaica but must be careful where real security threats exist.
- The crime rate here is generally on the rise especially in cities such as Kingston and Montego Bay. Usually, crime in these cities revolves around issues concerning politics, gangs, and drugs. As long as you avoid these, you're bound to be fine here.
- In tourist areas such as Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and Negril, most crimes targetted at tourists usually revolve around property- commonly petty thefts and pickpocketing. Though these crimes can get violent at times when tourists resist.
- If there is no police or any other source of help around and you happen to face such an incident, give the robbers what they want so that they don't harm you.
- Special tourist police are always in tourist areas and wear white hats, white shirts, and black pants.
- Avoid using credit cards and ATMs as much as you can as card skimming is common here.
NEIGHBORHOODS TO AVOID
- Mountain view
- Trench town
- Tivoli Gardens
- Arnett gardens
In Montego Bay
- Areas surrounding Montego Bay's Sangster international airport.