Rime Island or Wusong Island is located in Wulajie Ethnic town, Jilin Province, Northeast of China. The island is surrounded on all sides by the never-freezing Songhua River despite the cold winters in Jilin ( -20°C/ -4°F ).
Best Time to Visit
Because rime is formed when supercooled water droplets meets surfaces whose temperature is below ice point. So as you can guess, the best time to visit the Rime Island is in winter, especially the morning after snow. For better experiences, be sure to check the local weather before your arrival.
From Jilin City
The rime island is roughly 40km/25miles northwest of Jilin. The most convenient way to get to the Rime Island is to get to Jilin by train and get to towns near the island.
There are several ways to get to the island from Jilin:
- You can take the bus from Chaluxiang Bus Center across to the Jilin Railway Station to Wulajue Ethnic Town. The bus starts at 6:30 and ends at 17:00, the bus leaves every 15-20mins and runs for 1hr. The fare is 10rmb( 1.5usd );
- You will find auto rickshaws ( like the tuk tuks in Thailand ) at the bus stop, they will take you to the ferry to the Rime Island. It will cost you 10rmb & 20mins;
- The ferry leaves pier irregularly when there are approx. 25 passengers. The fare is 60rmb( 9usd )
- Be sure to wear warm clothes, mountain shoes, gloves and scarf are recommended;
- Pack a few energy bars if you are not accustomed to low temperature weather;
- Battery performance under low temperature is very poor, be sure to keep your camera warm too;
Other places to recommend along the way:
- Wulajie Ethnic Town is one of the origins of the centuries-old Man Ethnics