- These are some of the best destinations to visit that are less than 5 hours away from Johannesburg city center.
- Soweto is Johannesburg's most famous township due to it's rich social, cultural and music scene.
- There's no need to join a tour group to visit Soweto.
- You can easily move around Soweto using Rea Vaya buses.
- Take bus T2 from Park station in the city center, it'll take you to Boomtown in Soweto.
- To get to Vilakazi street take F-4 Rea Vaya bus from Boomtown station.
Must visit sites in Soweto
- Mandela's house
- Water Sisulu square
- Hector Pieterson museum.
- Credo Mutwa cultural village.
- Pretoria is South Africa's administrative capital. Some of the best places to visit around Pretoria include
- Reitvlei nature reserve. It's located about 20km from Pretoria's city center.
- Union buildings
- Voortrekker monument
- Pretoria national botanical garden
- The easiest way to get from Johannesburg to Pretoria is by taking the Gautrain.
- Train fare from Park station to Pretoria is R75 during peak hours and R64 during off-peak hours.
Trip duration: 35 minutes.
- You can also catch buses to Pretoria at Park station.
- If you drive to Pretoria through main road N1 it'll take you 50 minutes to get there.
- Cullinan is a small mining village about 30 km east of Pretoria. It still holds much of its mining village character, the Cullinan diamond mine is one of the largest mines in South Africa.
- If you'll be visiting the mine you have to make advance reservations.
- You can easily to Cullinan by bus from Pretoria. Most people however prefer to take the steam train to make the whole experience complete.
- The steam train departs from Hermanstad station in Pretoria and takes 5 hours to get to Cullinan station.
- Tour around Cullinan will take about 5 hours.
- If you can use the steam train to get to Cullinan, get back to Pretoria by bus and take the train to Johannesburg within a day.
Suncity is a leisure resort two hours away from Johannesburg.
- There are no direct public buses yo Suncity from Johannesburg.
- The easiest and cheapest way to get to Suncity is by taking a private shuttle.
- There are several shuttles leaving for Sun city at OR Tambo airport and Sandton.
Kruger national park
- Taking a day trip from Johannesburg isn't the best way to visit Kruger national park.
- A day trip works if you'll be flying into the park.
- You can fly from Johannesburg to Skukuza on the southern part of the park ( 50 minutes flight) or to Phalaborwa on the northern part of Kruger ( 1 hour 10 minutes).
- Both airports are just 10 minutes away from the park.
- I don't recommend taking the bus, there are no direct buses from Johannesburg to Kruger. You have to take the bus to Nelspruit then connect by a second bus to Phalaborwa. This could take you up to 7 hours to get to Kruger.
- The cheapest convenient way to get to Kruger is by driving yourself there. It'll take you 5 hours to get there.
- Apart from driving saving you transport money, it'll also save you game tour costs. If you visit the government run part of Kruger you can self drive around that part of the park.