Tourists visiting Johannesburg are most likely going to arrive at OR Tambo international airport.
The airport is located 14 miles east of the city center and there are a couple of ways to move from the airport to the city all based on your budget and urgency.
- Most major hotels operate their own buses that pick tourists from the airport to the respective hotels. Tourists staying at such hotels can take advantage of this service.
- Shuttles services to most parts of the city are offered by public transport operators.
- Airport taxi services, as well as online taxi providers are all available outside the termini.
- You can either get a metered taxi or find a cab on your preferred app(uber, taxify, ola etc)
- Taxis are more costly than minibusses.
- Well known car rental companies and local suppliers operate at OR Tambo.
Compare prices before settling for a provider. There are numerous providers including Avis, Hertz and Thrifty.
- Novices should avoid getting rental cars as they could easily get lost in the many web-like interchanges within the city.
- There's a train terminus at the airport. From the terminal, the train moves to Sandton then into the city center.
- Train prices like bus prices are quite fair.
- Now this is travelling in style! This transport alternative is very pricey but its the comfiest and stress-free.
- Prior booking arrangements have to be done when opting for this alternative.