How to visit the apartheid museum
- The apartheid museum is located just about 10km from the city center and you can easily access it via the M1 freeway and is part of the Gold reef city.
- Though there are very many tour agencies that don't organize tours I don't recommend this option as their tours are expensive yet you can visit the museum by yourself ( most tours cost between 500- 1000 rand)
- Admission rates
- Adults- 100 rand
- University students, pensioners, children- 85 rand
- For school groups
- Teachers- 50 rand
- School learners - 45 rand
- Children under the age of 11 years are not allowed to visit the museum.
- School visits to the museum must be booked at least 4 weeks earlier.
- There are also guided tours every day except on Mondays. For guided tours, you have to book via the museum's website and you'll be placed with other tourists ( groups of 15 people or more) and you'll pay an extra 10 rand.
- The museum is open daily ( excluding New year, Christmas and Good Friday) from 9.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m
- Most tours around the museum take about 2 hours.
- After completing your tour of the museum you can spend time at the nearby gold reef city.