Dress code in the Middle East is quite exceptional and different from that of western countries. Here's what ladies should keep in mind when visiting Jordan.
- Compared to most of her neighbors, Jordan women dress more liberally. However, being a Middle East country showing too much skin is not appreciated.
- Never show cleavage, avoid shirts with the low cut neckline as well.
- Know how to tie a headscarf, you must wear one when going into a mosque or any other place considered sacred. You might also need to wear one when out in the wilderness to protect your head from the sun.
- Be aware of the weather in Jordan when choosing what to pack. From October to March it's generally cool and from April to September it's hot and dry.
- Opt for sneakers rather than sandals as most areas are dusty and covered in a lot of soil while some parts are rocky.
- Don't go out with wet hair as it depicts that you're sexually available.
- In cities such as Petra and Amman tourists wear what they want including shorts, in other parts of the country no one will reprimand you because of your fashion choices, however, to avoid attracting attention don't show too much skin
Example of outfits to wear
Clothes to pack
- Long pants/ capri pants
- Tank tops/ t-shirts
- Midi or dresses/ skirts
- Bikinis in case you visit the beach
Don't stress so much on what to wear, once you're there you'll get it!