If you visit Uganda and happen to have a network selection issue, then don't panic. The following is a brief guideline which will help you choose your prepaid sim card in Uganda.
The main network service providers in Uganda
- Smile -works on 4G only
- UT mobile
- Smart Telecom and,
- Airtel Uganda
NOTE: 4G/LTE is offered by MTN, Africell and Smile in all the major cities in Uganda. UT Mobile and Smart Telecom work on 3G only.
- Due to government interference in the telecommunication industry, there is still a lot of updates in the network service providers. So don't be surprised if you are required to re-register your sim card.
Where to buy your prepaid sim card in Uganda
- Each network service provider has sales points country wide.
- For MTN and Airtel Uganda, most sales points are in the cities of Kampala and Jinja.
Airtime recharge in Uganda
- There has been a controversy on airtime recharge in Uganda between the use of scratch cards and digital recharge.
- Eventually, both methods were accepted and therefore you can feel safe recharging your airtime using either way.
Social Media Tax.
- Don't be surprised if you are charged more for using social media platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter and Instagram.
- It's a move by the Ugandan parliament to exploit more tax.