How to travel from Nairobi to Mombasa by bus
- Buses are the most common way of traveling from Nairobi to Mombasa.
Bus travel duration: 7-9 hours.
How to book bus tickets.
- Buses headed to Mombasa from Nairobi have no centralized bus station, so you have to book and board the bus from offices of the bus company you want to board.
Most bus companies plying this route have their Nairobi offices along River road which makes it easy to compare prices.
Warning: River Road is usually filled with con men who will ask to sell you tickets or show you the way to the booking office only to sell you fake tickets or ask for an unreasonable amount of money for taking you to the booking office.
- Alternatively, you can just book online. Some of the bus companies with actively running websites include
- Dream line
- Modern coast
Mash East Africa.
- There are various bus classes along this route, though I wouldn't recommend taking economy class buses. Most of the buses operated by the companies above are standard to luxury class buses. For these buses, fares range from Ksh 1500-2500 ($15-25).
Features to expect
- Free wifi
- Recline able seats
- Note: Buses don't offer meals. Also, there are no washrooms on board. Most buses stopover only once along the way at Mtito Andei.
- There are a few day trips to Mombasa. Most bus companies have about 2 day trips to Mombasa.
- On the other hand, there are several overnight bus trips to Mombasa.