Swahili slang you must know when visiting Kenya
- Knowing some little bit of Swahili will definitely make communication easier for you in Kenya and here are some of the essential words you must know:
- Both words mean "hi". Normally you extend your hand for a handshake when saying hi.
- The Swahili word for money
- Tafadhali means, please
- Samahani means excuse me
- However, in Swahili, both words can be used in the same context.
- This is the word Kenyans use to refer to whites in general. Expect people to refer to you by the word mzungu rather than your name.
Mama and Baba
- Mama is a word used to refer to a mother and women in general. Here it's common to say mama mzungu meaning white lady.
- Baba is used to refer to a father or men in general. It's used in the same way as the word mama.
- KEYNOTE; Very many Swahili words are direct derivatives of English words and you'll be able to catch up as the locals speak. For example
- Television- Televisheni
- Shilling- shililingi