- Internet access is widely accessible in Rwanda especially in major cities such as Kigali, Byumba, Kibungo, Gitarama, Butare, Ruhengeri, Kibuye, Cyangugu, Gisenyi, Muhanga, Kicukiro and Rutongo.
- There are several ways to access the internet in Rwanda;
- Through access to a WiFi connection
- Accessing the local cyber cafes
- By buying data using your local sim card.
- You can either buy a WiFi router from any local shop in the major cities and towns or access a secure WiFi connection in high end restaurants, coffee shops, Cafés, malls, large supermarkets, mid-range and high end hotels , few local ecolodges, and bars.
- The WiFi password is usually provided at the reception or the WiFi is sometimes password free( Open WiFi)
- NOTE: while accessing this password free WiFi, make sure your internet connection is safe by activating any VPN or Kaspersky depending on your preference.
- This provided WiFi often unreliable as the speeds are slow and sometimes the connection is interfered with for no reason.
- I'd recommend purchasing WiFi routers from any MTN shops countrywide or better yet purchase a modem
- In Kigali, I'd recommend using MTN USB modems or Tigo Modems.
- The speeds are however slower and except about 10-30Kb/s speeds.
- The "EGG" WiBro in Kigali
- WiBro simply means Wireless Broadband, an alternative for USB modems.
How to access the EGG in Broadband System Corporation (BSC) internet offerings
- Visit the BSC offices and pay Rwf 72000 and a deposit of Rwf 30000.
- For monthly unlimited data subscription, you'll be required to pay Rwf 30000.
- With this, you will accept an improved 100Kb/s speeds.
- MTN offers the best internet deals and has a wide coverage.
- There are many cyber cafes in Rwanda's CBD offering affordable internet access solutions.