Millions of wildebeest, zebras, and antelopes move across the Maasai Mara and Serengeti parks annually. Here's all you need to know before making a trip to either parks for the migration.
- Whether you choose to go to Serengeti( Tanzania) or Maasai Mara (Kenya) you must have a visa and all necessary documents as the required by either countries.
- If you choose to move along with the wildebeests as they migrate prepare travel documents for both countries.
- The wildebeest migration occurs all throughout the year.
- In July the wildebeest move from Serengeti to Maasai Mara and in October- November, they move from Maasai Mara to Serengeti.
- The July migration is the best when on the Kenyan side and those in Tanzania enjoy the November migration best.
- Budget travelers should visit the Maasai Mara in November and The Serengeti in July.
- Unless you stay at the park for more than a week or two don't expect to see the actual river crossing. If you want to experience the actual river crossing and fight with the crocodiles move along with the animals.
- There are many lodges and camping sites in both parks.
- Tourists who want to move along with the wildebeest should opt for mobile camps.
- There are two types of tour safari packages;
- A private safari. This package gives you the privilege of having a personal driver and guide hence you move around at your own pace. It is however very costly.
- A scheduled safari. Tourists join other travelers and move around as a group. They share costs. This type of package is the best for budget travelers.
- Book your tour in advance.