Maldives visa information
- The Maldives offers free tourist visas to all tourists of all nationalities upon arrival in the country. However, you must have these basic requirements before they issue you the visa.
- A passport with a machine-readable zone that's valid for at least 6 months.
- Sufficient funds, enough for your stay in Maldives.
- Confirmation of accommodation or hotel booking.
- Onward/ return ticket
- Travel health declaration. This is a form that has to be filled online by everyone traveling to the Maldives 24 hours prior.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate.
- Tourist visas are free and issued at the immigration desk at Male international airport. A standard tourist visa is valid for up to 30 days, but immigration officers can issue you a shorter visa since it's up to them to determine how long your visa will be. However, if you request the 30-day visa then that's what they'll issue you.
- This tourist visa can only be extended once for an extra 60 days. The Visa extension fee is MRF 700.
Visa extension application
- Apply directly to the department of immigration within the first 30 days before your visa expires. You have to fill the "application to permit stay" available on the immigration website. You pay a fee of MRF 10 to submit this form.
- What you'll include in your visa extension application
- Place of accommodation
- Visa extension includes 30 days grace period and 60 days extension days.
- In case you stay in the Maldives for an extra 30 days after seeking visa extension you're not charged the MRF 750 visa extension fee.
Caution: Overstaying in the Maldives without seeking visa extension is considered a crime.
- Your tourist visa does not allow you to work in the Maldives. The penalty for working in the Maldives while holding a tourist visa is deportation.