There are only 9 visa exempted countries when their citizens are visiting Mauritania They include:
- Ivory Coast
- Mali, Niger
Members of these countries are allowed to stay in this country for 90 days without getting a visa. Afterwards, they will also have to report at the immigration desk and get an extension permit.
Entry visa and permit.
As for the members of the other countries, you could always have a visa on arrival.
However, visas on arrival can only be obtained at one entry point into the country that is ; Nouakchott-Oumtounsy International Airport.
In case you enter the country by any other place, you will be forced to make a trip to the embassy to apply for your visa.
Remember to always carry your passport with you when going to the embassy. They can have a problem of you don't have a passport.
A few tips about getting your visa at the airport:
- The wait for the Visa application can be quite long.
- Ensure you start filling your form when you are given the form on the plane.
- From the same airport, you could obtain visas to other countries including, Senegal, mali where you are required to pay UM 6500 and also morocco for UM 9000.
- The visas issued at the airport cost approximately $130 however, there is a plan to effectively lower the cost of the visa.
Tourists and visitors can apply for visa extension.
- Visa extension applications can be made online but mist people prefer going to the embassy and submiting the application.
- The visa extension application can also be done at Nouakchott-Oumtounsy International Airport.
- The cost for visa extension is UM 46000 for every extension request to be granted.
- Ensure you have a good reason for needing the extension as they can be quite skeptical at times.