Our visit to Mauritius
Here's the brief from Christy's original article :
- ARRIVAL: A flight from North America to Mauritius is about 30 hours. We suggest to fly through Dubai instead of Paris as the Dubai airport is a much more comfortable for relaxing between flights. If you transfer in Paris, the timing is also really tight!
- GET AROUND:
- If you stay on a resort, many of them offer chauffeuring services around their own properties, as well as island tours.
- There's an active bus schedule, but the busses won’t run after 8pm
- You can also call taxies or rent a car or a scooter to get around. We booked ours with Maki Car Rental who offers tours and transfers as well
- The language is a mixture of English, French, and Mauritian Creole;
- Seafood, and fusion dishes because of the French colonial and Chinese, Indian immigrants culture
- Weather in winter is unpredictable, but if you like mild temperatures or any water sport that requires wind, such as kitesurfing, then winter is the time to visit
- if you want prefer balmy weather and lukewarm ocean water, it's better to visit in their summer (November to May) when the wind is also calmer - perfect for surfing, SUP and kayaking
What to do & see:
- Snorkeling, scuba, and glass bottom boat rides
- Seven-Colored Earth
- Rhumerie de Chamarel: a local distillery devotes offering tours and tastings Monday through Saturday