Important currency exchange tips
- Don't exchange your currency to Dirhams outside Morocco, you'll get a really bad rate since it's not really legal to do so.
- You can only import and export up to 2000 Dirhams
- Keep the receipt you're given when buying Dirhams, you'll need it to exchange your remaining Dirhams to other currencies when exiting Morocco.
- Payment by cash is the most common payment method.
- Easiest currencies to exchange -US dollars, Euros, British Pounds.
Best place to exchange currency
- I always go by ATMs or exchange bureaus, they have the best rates.
- ATM exchange limit: Normally you cannot withdraw more than 2000 Dirhams at a go.
Avoid exchanging currency at:
- Banks in airports and ferry terminals
- Banks in the cities
- Black markets- these are common in Casablanca, Ceuta, and Mellila