How to remain online when in Morocco
- I was surprised to find that internet in Morocco is freer compared to most of her neighbors, however, there is no complete freedom of expression on the net and I had to be careful not to do the following to avoid ending up in jail.
- Defaming the royal family
- Insulting Islam.
- Making controversial political statements.
- Any social media restrictions? No, you can access all internet platforms, as long as you don't do any of the formerly mentioned of activities you're safe.
Where to get WiFi
- Most hotels and riads offer WiFi to their guests.
- In some of these hotels, WiFi is password secured and accessing WiFi can make you incur extra costs.
- In major towns such as Tangier, Marrakech, Casablanca, Rabat, and Fez have internet parks where you can access the internet for free.
- Best internet option: Get internet from a cyber cafe, they'll charge you a small fee, though most the equipment in cyber cafes is old you can carry your own devices then connect to WiFi.
- Most foreign SIM cards have no network coverage here.
- Get a local SIM card for making calls within Morocco, there are quite a number of service providers, Maroc Telecom has the best coverage though it has the highest rates. For international calls, Skype, Imo and Duo work best.