Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro can be really hectic for hikers with little or no knowledge of how to get around the mountain. Here are the tips you need to know before making the trip.
- Get some exercise before making the trip to keep fit.
- Do a practice hike at a small hill in your local area before making the trip.
- Get checked by your doctor prior to your trip. If your doctor clears you, proceed with arrangements for the trip.
- Book a tour with a tour with a tour operator as it's compulsory to accompanied by a guide when climbing the mountain.
- Your tour operator is responsible for providing meals and sanitation facilities for the whole group as you climb.
- Best time to visit is between December and March.
- To avoid altitude sickness;
- Choose a longer route that ascends gradually. However, this is more costly and will take more time.
- Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.
- Ask for medical advice from your doctor on how to prevent and control the condition.
- Maintain a positive attitude throughout the hike and convince yourself you can make it.
What to pack
- A sleeping bag.
- Fitting waterproof boots.
- A warm jacket.
- Vaseline (To moisturize your lips)
- A power bank.
- Wet wipes ( At some glacier camps there are bathrooms, you need to use wet wipes to clean yourself)
- A good camera.
- Drinking water.