- Before the creation of M-PESA services by Safaricom sending money to your loved ones was hectic, time-consuming and expensive.
- With its commencement, however, M-PESA services have not only reduced the amount of traffic in Kenyan banks but also provided an easy point to point access to transaction services. When in Kenya you are going to need an M-PESA account since literally everything depends on it: sending money, paying bills and purchasing items. Plus M-PESA agents (withdrawal points) are easier to find compared to ATMs
- The following is all you need to know on how to register an M-PESA account for faster and more affordable money transfers.
M-PESA registration process
- You can register your M-PESA account in any of the following places:
- Any accredited Safaricom M-PESA agent outlet countrywide.
- Any Safaricom Retail Centre.
- Safaricom Shop.
- Safaricom Care Desk.
Requirements for M-PESA account registration services
- You'll need the following:
- A mobile phone with a Safaricom sim card
- Any Valid Identification such as :
- A valid Kenya Identification Card, for those above the age of 18 years.
- A valid Kenyan Passport
- A valid Foreigner's Passport
- A Military Identification Card if you serve in the armed forces
- A valid Foreign certificate if you are staying in the country temporarily.
Once the M-PESA account registration is successful, you'll receive a confirmation message from M-PESA through your Safaricom number together with your PIN number which you'll use to activate your M-PESA account.
Once this step is successfully completed, you'll be required to fill a Customer's Registration Form with the Safaricom agent there, to confirm your details. Once he/she approves that the information provided is true to the best of their knowledge, they'll sign the form.
M-PESA Account Activation Process
- Select the Safaricom option on your Sim toolkit.
- On the M-PESA menu, select activate.
- Enter the 4 digits numerical PIN.
- Create your own pin and confirm the same pin.
- Enter your ID number which should correspond to the one used during registration.
Activation is now complete, you'll receive a confirmation message from M-PESA.