While visiting Peru, most likely you want to have active phone data plan to update your friends and family.
SIM cards in Peru are easy to use and fairly cheap.
That's why I have created this guide below to show you about SIM cards in Peru and prepare for your trip!
Claro and Movistar are the main and biggest communication providers in Peru.
- Both offer various options of mobile phone and internet data plans, but prepaid SIM card (with no contract) is the one for foreign travelers in Peru to go for
- A prepaid SIM card allows you to dial and receive local calls, surf the internet, and use data, and add additional credit when needed.
Not only are there Movistar and Claro to choose from, also another two big companies to consider are Entel and Bitel both with good networks.
Super Chip Turista SIM by Entel company is designed specifically for tourists traveling in Peru.
With their package, you’ll have unlimited time on Facebook and Whatsapp for 15 days, 20 minutes of domestic calls and 2 GB of data.
The price for the Super Chip Turista is 69Sol (around 20Eu).
Where to buy
- You can find Claro and Movistar stores in all the main cities in Peru.
- Also at Lima’s International Airport on the second floor, you can find Claro shop.
A store agent will help you with the purchase and activate a SIM card.
- You will need your passport for identification and local currency.
The Spanish words "un chip de prepago", to get your SIM card.
A SIM card costs around 15Sol (about 5Eu).
Also, buy some extra credit so that you can leave the store with an active cellphone, ready to receive, dial and surf the internet.
How to add extra credit to your phone
Official Claro and Movistar stores aren’t the only places to buy credit.
Street corner convenience stores and large supermarkets, such as Wong or Metro, also sell prepaid minutes. A good tip is to watch for stores that have signs with the Claro or Movistar logos hanging outside their shops.
- All you need is to have your telephone number ready and money on hand. Inform the person at checkout that you want to add phone credit, saying - "Claro recarga" or "Movistar regarga" and tell them the price. and they’ll take care of processing the phone credit transaction.
- You’ll also receive a text message to confirm that transaction is completed.