- Sao Paulo has an extensive and relatively cheap public transport network.
Sao Paolo public transport network consists the following
- Suburban train (CPTM)
- Electric scooters
Sao Paolo Metro and suburban train
- Sao Paolo's metro and train is quite extensive and relatively easy to understand.
- The metro has 5 lines and covers most of the inner city, the train covers the greater Sao Paulo metropolis that isn't covered by the metro.
- Metro and CPTM operating time: 4 am -midnight
- Metro and CPTM map
- local buses operate thousands of different routes, there's no unified map like the the metro map making the bus network quite complex.
- Inner city buses are run by SP trans and buses heading to city outskirts are run by EMTU. Bus routes are availabk
- Fares paymement: You can pay either in cash or using a transport smart card (Bilhete Unico). The money sits inside the bus next to the turnstile at the entrance door.
- Bilhete unico is Sao Paulo's transport payment smartcard. It's SP's version of oyster card.
- It can be used on the metro, CPTM and SP trans buses.
- Cards cost R$3.8 and allows up to four rides (one metro, 3 bus rides) for R$5.92 within a there hour period.
- Metro and train rides cost R$3.5
- You can order your card online, pick it up at any metro, train or bus station.
- Recharge can be done in cash or by credit and debit cards at any automated payment machines or ticket booths. Recharge cannot be done on board.
- Common taxi hailing in Sao Paulo:
- 99 Taxi
- For rides within Sao Paulo metropolis fares are relatively. If you're using taxis to get to a neraby city outside SP municipal there's an extra 50% surcharge
- Sao Paulo has an extensive biking route network. For bike rentals check out Bike Sampa, they have stations all over Sao Paulo. Their bike rentals costs R$ 8.80 per day and R$ 29.90 per month.
- The only electric scooter service provider available in Sao Paulo currently is Jump. It's operated by uber and you can rent a scooter just using your Uber app.
- Currently electric scooters are only available in Santos in the southern part of Sao Paulo.
- Scooter unlocking fee is R$1.50 and rides cost R$0.75 per minute.