Located north of Nairobi, Solio game reserve is a privately owned game reserve that is home to the largest white rhino population in the world as well as hundreds of black rhinos, warthogs, zebras, buffalos, antelopes, and gazelles.
- From Nairobi, you can catch a flight to Nanyuki airstrip, then drive to Solio. It takes about 25 minutes to get to the reserve from Nanyuki airstrip.
- You can also move by road to Solio. When there's little or no traffic the ride is around 4 hours.
- When moving by road you can use a public minibus or a private car.
- There's only one lodge in the reserve (Solio lodge). Book in advance to ensure you secure a room.
- If you prefer the outdoors, the lodge rents out camping gear.
- Budget travelers should opt to stay at a hotel in the nearby Nanyuki town.
- The best time to visit is between July and October.
- During these months, it's cool and dry, making it the ideal weather for going on a game drive and holding events
Activities to do there
- The main activity at the reserve is going for a game drive.
- Other activities include;
- Taking photographs
- Holding events, both family events, and work-related events.
( Solio is also a great place to learn and research about veterinary medicine!!!)