There are a couple of ways to enjoy visiting Table Mountain. The mountain overlooks Cape town city. Here are the key things to note before making a trip.
- From downtown Cape Town you can get a taxi or catch the bus to the base of the mountain. The ride takes about 10 minutes.
- From there they're 3 ways to get to the top of the mountain:
- Go up the mountain alone using one of the many hiking trails that run across the mountain. Most hikers prefer to use the Platekipp Gorge route and Smuts track.
- Go hiking as a group. There are many companies that offer group hiking services. I recommend group hiking for novices.
- Take a cable car to the top of the mountain.
Cable Car Tips
- The first cable car leaves at 7.00am and the last at 7.00p.m.
- Get your tickets in advance( online ) and print your tickets to avoid getting caught up at the ticket line.
- Internet connection and mobile network are unavailable while in the cable car.
Activities to do at the mountain top
There's a range of activities to do once at the top these include;
- Going on a hike.
- Taking photographs. The view of the cape peninsula and Cape town is magnificent from the mountaintop.
- Hold private events. There are a restaurant and well-maintained grounds for holding private events such as weddings, family gatherings, and work-related events.
- Enjoying the "special sunset". Watch as the sun goes down into the Atlantic ocean and the lights in Cape town begin to twinkle.
Best time to visit
- Avoid visiting on weekends and public holidays due to the extremely long queues on such days.
- It's best to visit either early morning or evenings. In the afternoon you could be affected by the "tablecloth cloud" that obscures visibility of the hiking paths posing a risk for hikers.
- The best months to visit are during the summer, that's from November to February.
Must carry items
A warm jacket
- A camera
- Enough drinking water
- Appropriate shoes. Preferably sneakers.
With that in mind, you're set to go!