Located along the East African coast, this is what you should pay attention to when visiting Tanzania.
- The official currency is the Tanzanian Shilling (Tsh). However, the American dollar is popular and accepted by some traders.
- Other foreign currencies are less known by the locals and have to be converted to TSH first before making purchases.
Swahili and English are the official communication languages.
- English is popular among the elites and the mighty in society while those who weren't privileged to get education hardly grasp any English words. Choose the language you use based on the type of person you're speaking to.
- Tanzanians dress conservatively
- It is illegal to walk in public wearing short shorts or micro-minis.Such clothes should only be worn at the beach or within a hotel.
Homosexuality and public display of affection are a crime and carry very severe punishments if found guilty irrespective of whether you're a local or a foreigner.
- Credit and debit cards are accepted at major outlets.
- Most traders take advantage of tourists' ignorance to overcharge them. Tourists should bargain with traders to get good deals.
- Public transport minibusses (daladalas ) ferry people around.
- Internal flights and private charters are available from Dar-es-salaam to Arusha, Dodoma, and Moshi.
- Malaria is endemic at the coast and the Lake Victoria regions.
- Hygiene-related illnesses such as cholera and diarrhea are common in most substandard neighborhoods.
- Tanzania is generally safe except for the few pickpocket cases at bus stops and marketplaces.
- However, cases of violence against whites and albinos are common in Southern Tanzania. It's safe for tourists to keep off this region.
- North and central Tanzania are chilly while the areas along the coastline are generally warm throughout. Choose the clothes to carry based on the region you'll be visiting.
MUST SEE ATTRACTIONS!
A trip to the largest east African country can't end before checking out these places
- Zanzibar island.
- Serengeti national park.
- Tanga town.
- Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Olduvai Gorge