Ulaanbataarb also known as Ulan Bator is the capital city of Mongolia. It is the social, political, industrial, commercial and cultural hub of Mongolia and hosts some of the world's finest attractions as listed below.
1. Gandantegchinlen Monastery
- Gandantegchinlen is Tibetan which translates to the "Great Place of Complete Joy".
- It is a Mongolian Buddhist Monastery that was founded by Emperor Yongzheng in 1727.
Access the Monastery From Ulaanbataar International Airport
- Take a taxi to Ulaanbataar.
- Then board another taxi which takes only 5 minutes to reach the Gandantegchinlen Monastery.
- The distance is only 4.1 km.
- Expect to pay about USD 2- USD 3.
2. Sükhbataar Square
- This is the central square of Ulaanbataar.
- It was named after Mongolia's hero Damdin Sükhbataar and a statue of the revolutionary leader is mounted at the center of the square garden.
- It is open 24 hours a day and accessible to all Mongolians and tourists as well.
How to access the Sükhbataar Square
- Depending on your location, you'll need to either take a taxi, a private car, a bike or even just walk.
- The Sükhbataar Square is the center of the Ulaanbataar thus accessible from every corner of the city.
3. The Museum of the Bogd Khaan
- The museum was established in 1893 by Bogd Khaan as his Winter Palace.
- It is located in Zaisan Street, Ulaanbataar, Mongolia and is only a few kilometers away from the Ulaanbataar International Airport.
- It is open from 10 am to 5 pm on all days of the week except Tuesday and Wednesday
4. The National Museum of Mongolia
- Previously known as the National Museum for Mongolian History, It is a cultural, scientific and educational museum located in Ulaanbataar.
- It is located in Juulchin Street.
- It is closed on Monday and Sunday but open on all other days from 9 am to 6 pm.